[TN-Bird] Re: Lark Sparrow Today

  • From: "Sumrall, Colin D" <csumrall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "<massey6932@xxxxxxxxxxx>" <massey6932@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 19:33:15 +0000

Just saw sparrow. Great directions.

Colin Sumrall

Knox co.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 1, 2014, at 1:33 PM, "Morton Massey"
<massey6932@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:massey6932@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Terry Crowe and I showed up at the same time today to see if we could find the
Lark Sparrow at the Forks of the River WMA in Knoxville.  It was a little
before noon and after about 20 minutes we did find the bird in the large plowed
corn field.  Here are some additional directions.

-          From the parking lot backtrack a little and get on the Will Skelton
Greenway (paved) that goes along the river

-          Go East toward where the two rivers converge to make the TN river

-          You will pass a corn field on your right where the old stalks are
still standing

-          You will come to the long corn field that has been plowed.  This is
the field that has the sign in front of it that talks about the dove population
in North America

-          We found the bird about 20% down the field.  We walked thru the
small tree line that exists before it totally opens up along the rest of the
field.  The bird was on the back side of the field when we saw it.  After about
5 minutes of viewing the bird flew off.  It was actively feeding in the field
with Indigos, a Blue Grosbeak, cowbirds and bluebirds.

Scope is not mandatory but might be beneficial.  Facial pattern is unmistakable
and obvious.

Morton Massey
Knoxville