[TN-Bird] Lapland Longspurs, Gibson County

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 15:21:09 +0000 (UTC)

March 2, 2015Mt. Orange (2 miles west of Trenton), Gibson County
Yesterday, just after backing out of my garage I noticed a flock of birds
flying across the field towards me. I stopped the car and got out and realized
that they were Horned Larks. There were approximately 100 birds in the flock.
As they came over I heard the distinctive rattles and "tew" notes of 5-6
Lapland Longspurs mixed in the flock. This is the first occurrence of this
species that I have noted here this winter. I have had them in previous winters.
Good birding!
Mark GreeneTrenton, TNGibson County