[TN-Bird] Lakes, Ducks and Noshows

  • From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 00:10:56 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all

I was wondering what the thinking is on the lack of ducks at Douglas Dam
compared to other reservoirs around East TN, notably, Chickamauga, Nickajack,
South Holston, which seems to hold a lot of birds and a fair richness; even
Loudon in Knox and Blount counties seems to have a fair representation of
waterfowl, occasionally. Douglas Dam headwaters on the other hand, seems to
have very little richness and very few birds. I was there today and only had
one Gadwall, several Common Loons, Pied-billed Grebes, and some mutt Mallards.
Does anyone have an explanation for this type of discrepancy? Feel free to post
to my email directly or for the edification of others, back to the TN-Bird.

Thanks and

Peace

Keith Watson
Pittman Center, TN