[TN-Bird] Lake County, etc.

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 07:00:37 -0700 (PDT)

May 4, 2011
Lake County, etc.

The mighty Mississippi River has swelled to within a very few precious feet of
the top of the levee. It gave me a very uneasy feeling standing and looking at
all that water being held back by the levee. I can imagine how the residents of
the river counties must be feeling, knowing that the water is still rising.

I had a few birds of note while driving around the county yesterday - I had 2
nice flocks of Bobolinks along the levee road - one flock near the Phillipy
Pits and another flock near Cates. Baltimore Orioles and Indigo Buntings were
everywhere adding their amazing colors to the already fantastic blue skies and
sunshine.

On the shorebird front, as Mike Todd mentioned, there were Spotted & Solitary
Sandpipers and Yellowlegs spread out all over the place in the over abundant
wet & flooded fields. Mud Lake truly is a large lake right now and the 2
Wilson's Phalaropes were indeed nice.

I had several Bald Eagles flying around - 2 adults at Cates, another near
Tiptonville Landing, and then another on the way back home in Dyer County near
Hooper Marsh. I had a Broad-winged Hawk sitting on a power line on Hwy. 21 near
Lassiter's Corner in Obion County.

At home, in Gibson County, I've had a Grasshopper Sparrow singing in the field
behind the house for the last week.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN