[TN-Bird] L.T. Jaeger? YES!!!!!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alsandra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:48:02 EDT

Greetings TN Birders,
Yes, it's still there at Kentucky Dam.

At approximately 10:30 AM today, I went into the first pull off as I traveled
west on the KY Dam causeway.  Almost immediately, a smaller-than-a-gull dark
bird flew by and lit in the water just about a football field's length from
where I was standing.  It looked "right," but before I could get my binoculars
up and set on it, some feisty fishermen started their boat motor and headed
right toward the bird's location which put the bird up, up and away out of
sight.
 I decided to go have a look below the dam where there was plenty of ring
billed gulls, 15 great blue herons on the rocky shore, 3 adult yellow-crowned
night herons standing on the structures in the water along with a gorgeous
peregrine falcon.  One of the great blue herons caught a fish right in front of
me,
flipped it down his throat then took a drink of water.  Before starting in
quest of the jaeger again, I left to get gas.  On the way out from the
visitor's
area of the dam, a lovely doe went across the road in front of me.  I stopped
and was rewarded by seeing her precious little fawn follow "Mama" across the
road and up into the woods.

When I returned to the pull off where I'd seen the suspect jaeger, I ran into
Al & Sandra Kolak who had driven over from Maryville.  Apparently, they had
arrived shortly after I left and saw the suspect bird in the same area from
which I'd seen it chased.  None of us were ready to really "call" the bird
although we were all almost certain.

After watching until about 1:30 PM, the Kolaks went to see if they could get
a room for tonight at the state park, and I drove to The Pelican Restaurant in
L--- City to get a take out catfish dinner.  I returned to the pull off on
the causeway where I began to devour my lunch and watch for THE bird.  In a few
moments, some friendlier fishermen pulled around only about 100 feet offshore
and dumped their bait!  This brought every ring billed gull on the lake to
investigate along with one great blue heron that actually landed in the water
and
seemingly swam around getting the bait.  It also brought the long tailed
jaeger.  It lit on the water, took a dim view of the fact that not much was
left,
then took flight and did a U-turn right around over the edge of the rocks on
the causeway bank literally within a few feet of my car.  What a look!  I got
back on the road and drove over to the park hoping to find the Kolaks to let
them know the bird was still around.  While I was driving the cloverleaf to get
to the Park, they must have been coming out because they had arrived at the
pull off just about five minutes before I got back, AND THEY HAD THE BIRD IN
THEIR SCOPE!  It was picture perfect--thanks all you wonderful photographers!
With much glee, the three of us have confirmed an addition to our life list.
With this bird being here this early in the season, can a long tailed jaeger at
Pace Point be in the near future?

Now for a word of caution, and the word is RADAR!  The police are out
EVERYWHERE on rural highways, city streets and the Interstate (they aim from up
on
the overpasses).  Fortunately, I've never been one with a heavier foot than the
speed limit allows, so I am home unscathed.  I observed quite a few today who
were not so lucky.  Set your speed control at about 1 MPH less than the speed
limit and enjoy your trips.   The bird is there.  Go and enjoy!

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN