[TN-Bird] LITTLE GULL - Booker T. Washington State Park, Hamilton County - 12/8/13

  • From: Mark McShane <marksmcshane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 22:08:15 -0500

Hi All,

Max Medley, of Dalton GA, and I spent today trying to find the LITTLE
GULL eBird posted yesterday by David Hollie.  Despite the weather we
repeatedly tried some vantage points from Chickamauga Dam up through
the Harrison Bay area over and over throughout the day, we started at about
9am.  At about 3pm from the boat ramp at Booker T. Washington State Park we
spied a LITTLE GULL pretty far out with a good-sized widespread group of
foraging Bonaparte's Gulls out to our left and more towards the dam.

We lost the bird as some fog and rain moved through, but we relocated it
again, and eventually on the water as well, at about 4:45pm.  It was great
to see the bird flying very close at times to the many Bonaparte's for a
great size comparison with the bird being much smaller than they.  At the
range a dusky cap, and dark spot behind the eye could just be made out, and
the pale gray upperwings and dark grayish blackish underwings, with white
trailing edges showed well.

When we left around at around 5pm there were hundreds of gulls on the water
far out at the left end of the vista from the boat ramp.  I would imagine
that those gulls will be on the water there tonight and in the area of the
dam and Booker T. in the morning.

Good Birding All,

Mark

Mark McShane