[TN-Bird] Ky Lake 11/13

  • From: <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:53:07 -0500

Despite rather ominous weather predictions, I spent a very productive day at Ky
Lake.

I started at 8 AM looking again for LeConte's Sparrow in the field below the
maintenance at Pace Point.  The weather was fine, but the sparrow was a no
show.  The only birds of consequence seen there were House and Marsh Wren.  At
the point, I managed to find a Surf Scoter on the east side of the island, seen
from the boat launch ramp.   I checked Lick Creek, accesed off Lick Creek Road
via Doherty Store Road.  Turn left on Herndon Cemetary Road at the T , and then
left on a gravel road signed Lick Creek Acess Road.

There are still numerous A White Pelicans in the Tn River, seen in various
spots.  At the Manor Road access to Big Sandy, 4 Franklin's Gulls were seen
albeit at some distance.  Britton Ford yielded the bird of the day, the
Red-necked Grebe found yesterday by Jeff Wilson.  The bird was barely visible
from the observation deck, and certainly not identifiable by me.  But by
driving to the end of the road at the SE corner, close looks were achieved!
Around the corner, a closer Franklin's Gull was mixed with the Ring-bills and
Bonys.  There are loads of birds at Eagle Creek, but nothing unusual, and Paris
Landing failed as well

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn