[TN-Bird] Krider's Redtail, Interstate 40 west notes

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:13:46 EST

Sunday Mar.13
TnBirders,
Returning from a quick, "non-birding" trip to Memphis over the weekend, Sarah
Scott and I observed a very light hawk perched in the treeline along
Interstate 40. Thinking it worth a turn-around, we returned and were able to
get
underneath it before it flew. It was not albino, but had the "white-headed"
look
and other field marks of a juvenile KRIDER'S REDTAIL HAWK as illustrated in
Sibely. This was at mile marker 65 in Haywood County (page 32, D1 in DeLorme)
west
of Jackson TN.

Counting roadside Redtails in winter must be the birder equivalent of
counting out-of-state license plates as a travel pass-time. We had only counted
9 so
far, but this bird stood out from more than a mile away.

At nearby Hatchie National Refuge other birds of interest were:TREE SWALLOW,
with several small flocks passing over McNeal lake traveling south to north.
HOODED MERGANSER, a few pairs. A mixed group of dabblers with a few GREEN WING
TEAL,  WOOD DUCKS in pairs, and a group of 200+ MALLARDS in a flooded
cornfield. Two RED SHOLDERED HAWKS were seen at different spots, one inside the
refuge
was pale of breast and head, and one on a boundary road the "normal" rufous
on the chest and darker-headed. The VERMILION FLYCATCHER was not seen in the
one hour visit around the lake.

A group of 6 male RED BREASTED MERGANSERS  were in the bay at Cuba Landing
and an imm. BALD EAGLE was soaring up the river at the I40 Tennessee River
Bridge crossing. If all 500+ CLIFF SWALLOW nests under that bridge are active
in
the summer it would be quite a sight!

Richard Connors
Nashville TN