[TN-Bird] Knoxville CBC -- scoter-ific!

  • From: KD Edwards <sparverius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 21:39:17 -0500

Bad weather = good birds
Cold weather = ducks

Additional results will follow at a later date once I have all the data, but
the parties south of the river had a great day with lots of ducks and gulls
coming in with the cold weather.  Dashboard thermometer read 15F as I wrapped
up owling.

Louisville Pt Park (LPP) in Blount Co had lots of diving ducks playing peekaboo
in the fog.  Fortunately, I've had a lot of experience playing peekaboo lately.
 Highlight here was an immature Surf Scoter!

Hitch Pond (HP, also Blount Co) was one of the only ponds not completely frozen
and held a nice mix of dabblers and divers which went through a lot of turnover
on multiple visits by different parties throughout the day.

And Tom Howe found a nice flock of ducks with 2 species of scoter(!) from
Logan's Landing (LL) subdivision off of Holston College Rd in Blount Co which
offers a great overlook of the lake.

I need to check the records to see if either scoter is a new species for the
count.

I also stopped at Concord Park boat ramp on the Knox Co side at sunset to look
for the Lsr Black-backed Gull Chris Welsh reported recently.  There was a huge
concentration of gulls numbering approximately 10,000 birds in a long line
along the shore about 100 yds out stretching at least to the sailing club.  Did
not pick out a LBBG but did have at least a dozen Herring Gulls of different
ages.  All others IDable were Ring-billed.

Some highlights so far:

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, 1 at LL
SURF SCOTER, 1 at LPP, 5 at LL
C GOLDENEYE, 7 at LL
Canvasback, 2 at LPP
Redhead, 38 at LPP, 18 at LL, 4 at HP
Lesser Scaup, 20 at LPP
Red-breasted Merganser, 2 at LPP

at Hitch Pond:
Gadwall, 70+
Mallard
Am Black Duck, 2
N Shoveler, 4
Redhead, 4
Ring-necked, 2
Ruddy, 2
Am Coot
Am Pipit, 15

Herring Gull, 3 at LPP, 12 at Concord Park

N BOBWHITE, 3 by Jim Human and Paul Hartigan

At Lackey Creek, Blount Co:
Sandhill Crane, 15
Great Egret, 1

At UT Plant Science Farm (restricted access)
Peregrine Falcon, 1

Lots I'm probably forgetting.  More later.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

At the end of the day, I headed over to

While I was there, Tom Howe called from  with a large group of ducks including

Sent from my iPhone

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clemson, SC

                       MAP RESOURCES