[TN-Bird] Knox EUCD

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:31:33 -0400 (EDT)

Recently, a lady in East Knoxville sent an email to the TOS
website saying she had Eurasian Collared-Doves at her feeders.
Chuck Nicholson forwarded me the email so I could get in
touch with her regarding the Knox Co Spring Count.

Today (23 April) after the KTOS/Dogwood Arts Festival Bird
Walk on Sharp's Ridge, I decided to scout out the area before
tomorrow's Christmas count ... I mean Spring Count ... BRRRR.

Sure enough, I found the birds.  To get to the site, take
the Cherry St exit on I-40 on the east end of Knoxville.
Go north on Cherry St about 4 blocks.  I first found some
near New Hope Missionary Baptist Church which is on
Cecil Ave immediately (1/2 block) west of its intersection
with Cherry St.  I drove around the area and easily found
5 birds sitting on wires along the streets in this area.
2 were on Hoitt Ave which runs parallel to Cecil.

This is an area with older homes and a good bit of industry.
And, yes, there are railroad tracks here.

I had thought for some time that this part of East Knoxville
would be a good spot for EUCD and had looked around a few
times but not at this particular spot.

I drove around this part of town some more, down to where
the old baseball stadium was, through the Old City and out
along Western Ave but didn't find any more Collared-Doves
in about 1.5 hrs of searching.

This is the second report (to my knowledge) for Eu. Collared-
Dove in Knox County.  The first was about 5-6 years ago by
a man in Karns (west Knox Co) who reported to J.B. Owen that
they were coming to his feeder.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN