[TN-Bird] Re: Knox County loons

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scgwc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:39:28 -0500

I was out at the boat ramp in Concord Park in west Knox County before 7 a.m.
this morning and saw Steve & Gail's two COMMON LOONS.  What beauties!  So
glad I worked late last night and saw their message before I left.

Two HORNED GREBES were also present when I arrived. I watched the loons
diving for about 20-30 minutes, sometimes at fairly close range in the cove.

Then decided to investigate the next small cove to the east where I'd seen
some waterfowl heading; thought the loons may have gone there too.  To do
that I drove east a short distance and parked at the tennis courts/walking
trail lot.  Went out the short walking trail to its south end and headed
across the grass to the water's edge.  The loons were in the air, they
circled a couple times and flew to the north.  This was around 7:15.

Three NORTHERN ROUGH WINGED SWALLOWS were perched a few feet from me,
looking cold.

In the next cove to the east of the walking trail were about 25-30 water
birds, including 11 or 12 BLUE WINGED TEAL, mostly males.  A like number of
COOTS, a few MALLARDS and two CANADA GEESE.

Thank you so much, Gail and Steve for posting the LOONS.

Carole Gobert, Knox County, Tennessee