[TN-Bird] Knox County Spotted Sandpiper

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:20:05 -0400

There was a Spotted Sandpiper at Melton Hill Park in west Knox County this
morning.  I didn't think this would rate a post on TN-bird until it was flagged
by eBird and I did a little investigating.  An eBird bar chart (1900-2011) for
the four counties of Knox, Blount, Anderson and Roane showed no reports of
Spotted Sandpipers in any of those counties in the month of June , though they
were reported right up to the last week in May and again beginning the first
week of July.  In fact, except for Killdeer the only shorebird reported to
eBird for those counties in June was a Red-necked Phalarope of all things at
Cades Cove on June 7, 1992.  I know it can all be explained by migration but I
found it interesting.
Carole Gobert, Knoxville