[TN-Bird] Knox County Common Loons

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:54:27 -0400

Headed to Concord Park in west Knox County, TN this afternoon to look for
waterfowl the foul weather may have blown in.  No luck at the Cove though I did
see a nice flock of Cedar Waxwings and a lot of swallows (mostly Tree but at
least two Barn Swallows).

I then stopped at another part of Concord Park, the Walking Trail, which is now
dubbed the Parkey Strader Loop.  At the south end of the loop you can walk a
couple hundred feet across the grass to the point which juts out into the lake.
 Before reaching the end I looked to my left and saw what appeared to be loons
so I hustled back to my car for the scope.  Sure enough, four beautiful
breeding plumaged Common Loons were hanging out across the water near the shore
to the east.  Looking south over the open water I found another and beyond that
loon a group of about 35 waterfowl too distant for me to be sure what they
were.  Not Mallards, Canada Geese or Wood Ducks.  Possibly more loons.  Don?t
know.  I willed them to come closer but they perversely went farther.

Walking back along the east part of the loop I saw movement in the water and
found a loon in a bit closer.  Don?t know if it was one of the five or another.
 It was attempting to eat a fish, a rather large fish.  I watched while it
juggled the fish around (like a heron will do), repeatedly dropping it in the
water and picking it up again.  Finally after about five minutes of this,
success!  The loon swallowed its meal head first and as I watched the tail
disappear into the loon?s bill I gave it the thumbs up, I cheered, I got
strange looks from passing joggers.  I?m still smiling.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES