[TN-Bird] Knox CBC prelim results

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:47:45 -0500 (EST)

Just a brief note on the Knoxville CBC which was held on Saturday,
31 Dec 2005.  I think I have all of the reports in now.  Our
preliminary species total is 92 species + 1 CW.  That's pretty
close to the recent species average.

There was also an "uber"-rarity reported that I'm still trying
to get info on (haven't been able to get in contact with the
observer) that's not included in the above total.  The report
was of an Empidonax species.  I believe that, if confirmed,
that would only be the 2nd winter record for TN.  Of course,
this time of year, western species like Pacific-slope Flycatcher
are probably more likely than our normal ones so this is
especially of interest, particularly given our recent
West-Coast Invasion.

I'll post a full report when I get the numbers added up but
some highlight species reported include Sora (which would be
new to the count), N Bobwhite (missed in recent years), Dunlin,
Rufous Hummingbird, Loggerhead Shrike (still one or two hanging
on in one corner of the circle), Horned Lark, Brown-headed
Nuthatch, and 4 species of blackbirds (RW Blackbird, Rusty
Blackbird [at Turkey Creek], C Grackle, BH Cowbird).  The
blackbirds may seem a strange "highlight" but whereas we
used to get tens of thousands in the 1970s, as the circle has
become developed, we now do good to find them at all.

Big misses were Sandhill Crane and Great Egret (both seen one
week later), many of the duck species, Wild Turkey (CW only),
Barred Owl, Red-headed Woodpecker, Red-breasted Nuthatch,
and Fox Sparrow.

I'll obviously post more on the Empid if/when I get more
info.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN