[TN-Bird] Knox CBC prelim results

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:35:41 -0500 (EST)

With about 1/4 to 1/3 of the results in, we've already had
some good birds reported on the Knoxville CBC.

Best bird so far (other than Charlie's possible Goshawk) was
a Merlin I found and got a lousy photo of by the same pond
in Blount County where the Black-necked Stilt was earlier
this fall (no, we didn't find the stilt).  Merlin has only
been found on the Knoxville CBC twice before: 1982 (83rd)
and 1991 (92nd).

Other good birds at Hitch Pond included 5 Hooded Mergansers,
4 Gadwall, 3 Redhead, 2 Canvasback, and a Merlin in a tree.
Sorry, still have the 12 Days of Christmas on the brain.
1 Ruddy Duck as well but it wasn't in the tree so...  also
88 Ring-necked Duck, Mallard, Wood Duck, 1 female Shoveler,
4 Muscovy (not officially counted but I had 9 on the day
and another party reported some more) and 2 Wilson's Snipe.

One Loggerhead Shrike was reported along Roy Goddard Road in
Blount County by at least 2 parties that were searching for
it... we have to target them around here.

Tom Howe found a Common Goldeneye at Louisville Point Park,
a Horned Lark and some Sandhill Cranes in Blount County,
and a Lapland Longspur during count week at the UT Plant
Science Farm (not found this morning but haven't heard if
it was relocated this afternoon).

Kelly Roy found a nice group of waterfowl including a
good number of N. Shoveler, Green-winged Teal and American
Wigeon (a bird we've been missing a lot lately on this
count).  Looks like we may have a decent number of
waterfowl species this year.

Brown-headed Nuthatches continue to explode in the area.
I had 5 at Louisville Point Park while WBIR was filming
(see earlier post), Jean Alexander and David Johnson's
party found 8(!) at the UT Plant Science Farm and Charlie
Muise has already reported his new location.  Still expect
word from at least one other known site.

Mark Campen reported a count-week Gray Catbird that hopefully
was refound today.

Lots more good birds I'm sure.  Full report later.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN