[TN-Bird] Kingston - terns, Sanderling 08/26/07

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

I ran out to Kingston Steam Plant in Roane Co late afternoon on
Sunday, 26 August 2007.  I arrived about 3:45PM and met up with
David Chaffin about an hour later.  Think we left about 6:00PM.

I had hoped the storms of Saturday night might bring in some new
birds but that some of what CTOS and KTOS had on Saturday would
still be around... including the Wilson's Phalarope.  There was
in fact a good turn-over, unfortunately no phalarope.

Birds were moving around a good bit and most had departed by the
time we left, including the juvenile SANDERLING which David missed.
A number of terns were present, most actively feeding on the lake
including at least 9 Black Terns, 3 Forster's Terns and 2 Caspian
Terns (which spent most of the time on the main ash pond but did
make a couple forays out to the lake).

A bit of drama as we watched a Lesser Yellowlegs struggle to escape
the grasp of a turtle.  It eventually escaped and seemed little
worse for the experience.

Some birding highlights:

Canada Goose, Mallard, several each
Wood Duck, 1
BLUE-WINGED TEAL, 28

Great Blue Heron, 3 or 4

Osprey, 1 or 2

Killdeer, conservative count of 65
Greater Yellowlegs, 3 molting adults
Lesser Yellowlegs, 5 juveniles
Spotted Sandpiper, 1
SANDERLING, 1 juvenile
Semipalmated Sandpiper, at least 9, mixed ages
Western Sandpiper, 6 (1 adult, 5 juveniles)
Least Sandpiper, at least 30, most juveniles
Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 juvenile

Caspian Tern, 2
Forster's Tern, 3
Black Tern, 9+

Gray Catbird, 1, on the walk out from the car

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN