[TN-Bird] Re: Kingston - Stilt SP, Narrowmouth Toads

  • From: "Allan Trently" <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:07:29 -0400

I birded TVA's Kingston Steam Plant in Roane County, Kingston, TN on
Saturday, July 28, 2007 from 3:43 pm to 6:15 pm (I didn't have a watch so
the times may be off).  I did not meet Dean at the flats so I suppose he
came after I left.  It is very interesting the difference in birds I got and
he got.
Some birds I had:

1. Osprey- 3 there are at least three nests in the area
2. Killdeer- at least 12
3. Greater Yellowlegs- 19 these birds were calling nonstop until they all
took off and flew from the area, thus Dean didn't have any when he birded
the area
4. Lesser Yellowlegs- 24
5. Spotted Sandpiper- 1 I did not look around the ponds for this species so
I may have missed quit a few
6. Stilt Sandpiper- 15 very beautiful bird, most with some amount of
breeding (alternate) plumage
7. Least Sandpiper- at least 26- most peeps were near the tall grasses and
far away so they were hard to see
8. Semipalmated Sandpiper- 22- none appeared to be western sandpiper
9. Pectoral Sandpiper- 7
10. Blue grosbeak- 5

No grasshopper sparrows seen or heard.

It is always interesting to compare notes from someone else's count of birds
from the same day.  Thanks Dean for the report.  Lots of narrowmouth toads
calling when I was there too.  Sorry I was late with my report.  Dean, what
time were you counting birds?

Allan Trently
Norris, TN
ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx