[TN-Bird] Kingbird/Flycatcher Update-Shelby Co.

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:55:13 EDT

June 11, 2006
Shelby Co. TN

I believe another (probably) male Western Kingbird has staked out a new
territory at the Allen Steam Plant, as it stayed in one area for a couple of
hours today and chased a few birds from his perch. I still located a single
bird
fly catching from an area on the McKellar lake side of the plant. Maybe 2
nests  down there this year. The bird, I found in Tunica Co, MS is still
hanging
around  the golf course maintenance building, they may have moved from the De
Soto Co.  location where I first discovered them 2 years ago just across the
road to  Tunica Co. Down there everything is a gamble...........

The Scissor-tailed Flycatchers on President's Island evidently do not have  a
full clutch in place as the female is leaving the nest and flying over a
quarter of a mile to feed while the male stands guard. He can see her coming
back and will display in the air, while calling until she arrives back at  the
nest, then he leaves while she stays by or in the nest. When he returns and
she
leaves, he always checks the nest, I guess just checking to see if there are
any new eggs.

The female Western Kingbirds in Frayser are holding tight to their 2 nests
so they probably have full clutches and I still seeing a  fifth bird (male?),
so there still might be 3 nests there. The  Scissor-tailed Flycatchers at this
location are staying out together  and I have not found their nest but it is a
difficult area because of all the  fences and private property.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135