[tn-bird] King Rail, Least Bittern

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 11:04:05 -0000

King Rail, Standifer Marsh. 9 AM, June 2, 02.

Half way along the black plastic fence that separates
the marsh from the cleared land for the subdivision there
is a wide ditch with water and aquatic plants in it, at right angles to the
fence.  ( We saw a beaver or very large musk rat in the ditch.

The fence is down near the ditch, and it is easy to walk to
the edge of the marsh.  There is where we saw and heard
the King Rail, good views and much calling. We spent at least 30 minutes within
25 feet of the bird.  It preferred to stay hidden in the rushes, but did not
seem afraid and did not move away from us despite a lot of talk and moving
aroud.

The King Rail which I heard May 20 was closer to the
clay/gravel road which crosses the marsh.

We also saw a Least Bittern 4 times, twice flying across the road, once flying
along the road, and once walking in the brush and water near the road.  All 4
sightings could easily have been the same individual.

David Patterson
Sam and Gloria James

Chattanooga