[TN-Bird] KY Little Stint note and images

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:06:18 -0500

TN Birders;

As has already been mentioned, there is an alternate adult Little Stint at
Louisville, KY right now. It was found on the afternoon of the 16th, and has
been seen for the last 3 days. However, it is in a private location, but
hopefully more access will be worked out over the weekend.

I made the trip up yesterday, only to get there about an hour after a
Peregrine had made its 2nd pass through the area and scattered everything.
Eventually everything settled back in, EXCEPT the Little Stint. After about
4 hours of baking in the Sun, just as Brainard Palmer-Ball, Roseanna Denton
and myself were about to leave, I made one more scan as the light was
fading, and found the bird right where we had been looking. It had been
hiding well, but came back to its favored area. This was a special bird and
well-worth the trip, as it was the last Stint on my life-list (but 1st in
the ABA area).

Though there are very few interior records of Stints in NA, they do come
through as Jeff Wilson has had more than one of both Red-necked and Little
over the years as he sorts through the masses of shorebirds in Memphis. With
more people looking and being aware of the possibility, it seems to me that
more are bound to turn up. The area that Brainard Palmer-Ball found this
bird isn't one of the big shorebird mecca-type areas, it's just a nice
little bit of habitat in an urban environment. This bird could turn up
anywhere, though obviously Memphis with the number of birds that comes
through there seems the most likely.

I have posted some generally bad shots of this bird, somewhat distant but in
quickly fading light. My shots do show most of the field marks that will
allow you to pick this bird up, even if it's not right on top of you. I have
also included a shot, with Dave Roemer's permission, which does the bird
some justice. Dave is a fantastic digiscoper, though he was also battling
harsh light and heat waves mid-day yesterday.

The shots are in the following gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/little_stint , clicking on any image will
enlarge it, and using the next or previous tab will also let you navigate
among photos. If anyone is interested for comparison, I also have galleries
of the other Stints in my Shorebird gallery. Warning, none of these shots
are remotely magazine quality. The Red-necked Stint gallery does give a good
feel for the differences in these birds though, especially structurally,
with Red-necked looking short-legged and especially attenuated with long
wings. These galleries are at: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/sandpipers

More shots of this bird can be seen at:
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/little_stint.htm , with page 2 having more of
Dave's shots.

Hope many more can enjoy this great bird!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd