[TN-Bird] KY Lake region; 6 sp. of gulls 10/02/04

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 21:28:45 -0500

10/02/04
Paris Landing area to mouth of Big Sandy River
Henry Co.
I leisurely birded the KY Lake area again today until about 16:00, and was
rewarded with a beautiful day and some nice birds. A couple of hours of the day
were spent chatting with people who happened upon me, and of course the topic
of conversation was birds. It's always nice to be able to share our birds with
others who have the interest but who didn't have any idea what detail you can
see through a scope, or how much variety there is out there!

The changing weather is quickly bringing a change in the birds. In my past few
trips up here I've ran across the occasional Pintail or Wigeon, but today both
birds, along with Gadwall, were seen in some numbers at different locations. I
had all of our regular dabblers with the exception of American Black Duck
today. Nice concentrations of dabblers are already stacking up on the flats at
Eagle Creek and the mouth of the Big Sandy.

The highlight of the day was having 6 species of gulls, not bad gulling for
October in nice weather. The island at Paris Landing once again produced 2
adult and 1 2nd-winter Lesser Black-back and an adult Laughing Gull along with
the Ringers and Herrings. The flats at the mouth of Big Sandy are now getting
right, and among the horde of gulls using this area were 4 1st-winter
Franklin's. The 6th gull species wasn't a hoped-for rarity, but an early
Bonaparte's seen with the gulls at Eagle Creek. Forster's Terns were present in
numbers several locations, but no other terns today.

Shorebird habitat has come back, and so have the shorebirds, with 11 species. 3
Sanderlings were keeping the Gulls company on the island south of the bridge at
Paris Landing. Once again, the mouth of Eagle Creek, and finally, the mouth of
the Big Sandy are the place for shorebirds. No big numbers anywhere, but decent
variety. Wilson's Snipe were seen at 3 locations, and I finally got my American
Golden-Plover for the year, with 2 at the mouth of Eagle Creek. Also here were
2 Semi Plovers, and several Pectorals, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Least Sandpipers
along with a Spotted. The mouth of the Big Sandy produced a Long-billed
Dowitcher and Greater Yellowlegs along with the Pec's and Lesser Yellowlegs
there.

I didn't spend much time in the woods, and the wind played havoc on me anyway,
but a few migrant passerines were found. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were coming
through in good numbers, with probably a dozen just at one location. Several
Scarlet Tanagers were about as well. Warblers were represented by 11 species,
with Magnolia being most common, others were Blackburnian, Pine, Black-throated
Green (several), Bay-breasted, Yellow-throated, American Redstart, TN
(several), Northern Parula, Northern Waterthrush, and Common Yellowthroat
(several). The only Vireos were Red-eyed and White-eyed, both of which are
still singing.

Other birds of interest included:  the 1st small group of Coots has arrived
back at Paris Landing, soon to be joined by thousands more, and my 1st of the
fall Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Song Sparrows. There was a large Blue Jay
movement through the area, though the birds were high overhead as opposed to ON
TOP of your head at Danville!

I didn't have time to cover the Pace Point side of Big Sandy, but hope to
tomorrow morning.

Today wasn't a day for photography, but I have posted a single image of the two
adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls in the same frame as Herrings and
Ring-billed's.

This can be viewed at: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/34544196

Good birding!!

Mike Todd