[TN-Bird] KY Lake area (Barrow's Goldeneye search) 12/28/09

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:54:09 -0600

12/28/09
KY Lake areas of Henry Co

What a difference a day makes! I was lucky to find the Barrow's Goldeneye
this morning, as two subsequent trips to the area during the day were
unsuccessful. A visit late in the afternoon didn't turn up any Goldeneye at
all in the immediate vicinity, but 100+ were just north of there off of the
Trailer Rd area. I was lucky to have her swimming out this morning, letting
me get a good feel for the profile of the head, as she wasn't diving
initially. I only had her a few minutes before a boat put all of the birds
in the area, and practically all left the area and went south to the mass of
birds off of Britton Ford. I've seen several female Common Goldeneye with
mostly or all-yellow bills, but Jeff's bird has the head to go with it!
There have been many hours logged up here going thru masses of Goldeneyes
over the years; I'm glad Jeff finally pulled one out up there this year.

Otherwise, I struck out on loons as well, having nothing but a handful of
Common on the day. There were only TWO loons visible from Port Rd this
afternoon, total. Pace Point did not have a single gull. The only other good
bird of Jeff's weekend trip that was still around (for me today anyway) was
the female Common Merganser in the bay below the observation platform at Big
Sandy. Jeff had a lot of birds in this area on Sunday, only a handful total
today. I did have a sleeping female Surf Scoter in the big rafts of Scaup
off of Paris Landing. Greater Scaup are in the area in force right now.

Britton Ford still teems with waterfowl, but the geese were out of sight
today. I saw 5 Canada and 3 Greater White-fronts in the air, that was it.
Didn't pick up the Common Merg at Britton Ford, but didn't spend a lot of
time going thru the masses, especially the distant birds. Numbers of Horned
and Pied-billed Grebes have to be seen to be believed, though I also whiffed
on the Red-necked Grebes today.

But, no matter what else happened, it was a good day at 08:00 this morning
when I finally picked up the Barrow's. Good luck to anyone that tries, the
frenzy in that area continued today so hopefully she will stay in this
neighborhood for a bit anyway. I may be able to get back up there on
Thursday, though I'm not sure yet.

The only photograph I got today worth even posting is of a flyby group of
Black Ducks, that I didn't realize had a male hybrid Mallard x American
Black until looking at my photos tonight.
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/120640738/original

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN