[TN-Bird] KY Lake area 12/5/04

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:38:37 -0600

12/05/04
Paris Landing to Britton Ford
Henry Co.

Don Manning and I spent a nice morning searching areas on KY Lake.
Unfortunately, the Big Sandy Refuge/Pace Point area still isn't accessible.

We started at Paris Landing, with a few flights of Common Goldeneye, and
several Bufflehead. This was the 1st time I can remember this time of year
with no Scaup or Ruddies at Paris Landing. A lot of Gulls were working the
marina over, but they were all Ring-bills.

The Eagle Creek bay was literally full of Horned Grebes, 300+. We would see
well over 500 Horned Grebes on the day. There was a big raft of 108 Common
Loons in still water out from Eagle Creek, but none could be made into
anything "un"Common. Port Rd was pretty slow, though it was obvious that the
area around Pace Point is teeming with birds (since we can't get over
there).

Trailer Rd was quite a surprise. We had probably the best showing I've seen
of Loons for mid-day. There were over 250 Common Loons seen from here,
stretched out in a couple of long lines. The water was still, allowing great
viewing, but no Pacific's or Red-throated's in the mix. No doubt they are
around though. A nice bird was a Peregrine perched in the structure of the
massive TVA high-voltage lines out in the river.

We wound up the day at Britton Ford, where there were fewer ducks than
expected. Nothing out of the ordinary, though several Canvasbacks are
starting to use the area, always a nice sight. A hen Redhead escaped
detection for the longest time in the mix, quite a lovely bird. A few
Red-breasted Mergansers were in the area as well.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.