[TN-Bird] KY Lake area; 11/2/05

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 08:36:59 -0600

11/2/05
KY Lake area from Paris Landing to Pace Point
Henry & Benton Counties

I met Barry Hart of TVA yesterday for a late season shorebird survey of the
Paris Landing to Pace Point section of KY Lake. As expected, shorebirds
weren't numerous, but we had a nice day nonetheless.

Shorebirds on the day consisted of Killdeer, and a few Wilson's Snipe and
Least Sandpipers at most stops. The Big Sandy flats also produced 1 Lesser
and 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 5 Pectoral, and 3 Dunlin. I was surprised not to
have more Dunlin on the day. American Pipits were seen on several flats as
well.

Gulls were interesting, with 5 species seen on the day. Bonaparte's are
finally in, though in small numbers. We had an adult Lesser Black-back
yesterday morning at Eagle Creek, and another (or the same one?) late in the
day on an exposed sandbar just south of Pace Point on the TN River side.
There were large numbers of gulls in this area, including several 1st-winter
Herring Gulls. Also in this area were the only White Pelicans on the day,
about two dozen. Britton Ford was pretty quiet, other than the 16 Franklin's
Gulls that were resting on the flat near the north entrance. These were the
only Franklin's on the day. Forster's Terns are still holding at Eagle Creek
as well.

Dabbling ducks were seen in good numbers, with all expected species seen,
except Blue-winged Teal. Divers have finally showed up, with a small group
of Ring-necks, and also the 1st raft of Scaup out from Pace Point.
Unfortunately no Scoters though.

We had a decent day with sparrows, though we didn't have any luck with
LeConte's, Vespers and a late afternoon Lincoln's were nice. Lingering
passerines included a Indigo Bunting and House Wren.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of loons present this early in the
season. We were on the Pace Point side late in the day, and counted 78 loons
from Rocky Point, and another 26 on the TN River side. The shimmer on the
water was terrible, but none of the loons looked small enough to be too
interesting. Port Rd would have been a better vantage point yesterday
afternoon, as most of the loons were well back towards Paris Landing.

We only saw a couple of Bald Eagles on the day, and none going to roost near
dark.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN