[TN-Bird] KY Lake area; 10/14/09

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:19:05 -0500

10/14/09
Big Sandy area (Henry Co)
I spent a few hours yesterday birding around the Big Sandy area. I started at
the flats at the mouth of the Big Sandy, with a lone Franklin's Gull resting
amongst the 400+ Ring-billed Gulls in the area; not a tern in sight. Only
shorebirds on the new flats were 5 Dunlin. Lick Creek (Benton Co)  was much the
same, with some Ring-billed Gulls and 3 Dunlin.

I spent most of my time tromping around in the field on the way into Pace
Point. There is standing water in much of it now, but only a couple of inches.
Still several Marsh and Sedge Wrens, but I didn't flush a single Ammodramus
Sparrow. There were at least 5 Bobolinks in the field, which let me get some
decent photos this time. Otherwise, gobs of Swamp Sparrows, with my first Song,
Lincoln's and White-crowns of the fall as well.

Warblers were scarce, with Yellow-rumped being marginally more numerous than TN
(5-4), but I didn't spend any real time in the woods. Also had a Nashville and
an Orange-crowned, as well as several Yellowthroats. A very bright Philly Vireo
also cooperated for some shots, and the first Golden-crowned Kinglets were
around today. Pace Point itself had nothing but Ring-billed and Herring Gulls.

I've added about 15 new shots to my gallery, most from yesterday but a few from
odds and ends on my trip to AR for the Red Phalarope last week.  If interested,
the new photos start here: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/118012268/original

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN