[TN-Bird] KY Lake; 1/14/06

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:50:13 -0600

1/14/06
KY Lake areas (primarily Pace Point area, also Britton Ford)
Henry Co.
Just a quick overview.

When I arrived at Pace Point this morning, Frank Fekel and Phillip Casteel had
a Western-type Grebe sleeping in the same bay to the left of Pace Point that
Don and I had the 2 Aechmophorus Grebes Wednesday. This bird finally lifted its
head, revealing that it was a classic Western. Jeff and I had this bird at this
location several times over the course of the day, but usually with it sleeping
amongst the raft of Ruddy Ducks. We saw no sign of a 2nd bird. It looks like
there might be a  pretty good chance that there are actually 3 of these birds
in the area. Twice now, I've had 2 birds that were practically inseparable.
Today, and over the last couple of weeks when Jeff's had a Western, it's just
one bird. Maybe there are 2 birds that stay together (but seem to range over a
good area), and this one bird that tends to hang around the Pace Point area.
Hopefully we can still nail down the 2 birds to be sure that both are Westerns.
We didn't have the Red-necked Grebes today, but most of the day the wind was
horrendous.

Other highlights were 550+ White Pelicans (not bad for TN in January), oodles
of displaying Common Goldeneye and Red-breasted Mergansers, but still no Common
Mergansers. Loon numbers were fairly low, with maybe 50 being seen. We finished
the day up at Britton Ford, where the number of Cackling Geese was hard to
determine, as they mingled amidst the throng of birds, 20+ easily though. We
had a nice flock of Snows and Blues, with several Ross's mixed in, but no
White-fronts today.

Early this morning, Jeff had a subadult Golden Eagle at Lick Creek (Benton Co.)

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx