[tn-bird] KTOS trip to Seven Islands

  • From: dtrently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:38:54 -0400

This morning, Saturday, Sept 14, the Knoxville Chapter of the Tennessee
Ornithological Society held a field trip to Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge in
east Knox County. Eight people attended. The weather was GREAT!!! Great, that
is, if you knew we need the rain!! It never rained heavily, and much of the
time there was no rain...and it was finally not hot!
The weather seemed to have an impact on the birds, as there were not many
species found. We were out from about 8:00 to 11:00.

Highlights:
American Kestrel
heard a few N Bobwhites
Common Nighthawk (~10)
a few E Phoebes
Barn & Tree Swallows 1 each
Summer Tanager  1
Scarlet Tanager  1
Common Yellowthroat - 20+ There were some brushy areas with easily a dozen of
these birds mixed in.
Indigo Bunting maybe as many as 50
Blue Grosbeak 5-10
American Goldfinch - over 100
good numbers of Carolina Wrens, E Bluebirds, Chimney Swifts

When we returned to the parking lot, the trees there had a few migrant
songbirds...
Magnolia Warbler   3
Red-eyed Vireo   1
Great Crested Flycatcher   1

If you head out there, please try to keep track of what you see. Wildlife
inventory of the property is an ongoing process.

David Trently
Knoxville, TN