[TN-Bird] KTOS field trip-Turkey Creek Wetland+

  • From: "mark campen" <mcampen7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:07:54 -0400

On Saturday August 21, about 10 birders showed up for a field trip around
theTurkey Creek Wetland/ watershed.  We waited in our cars for a little
whileand when the rain slowed down, we started walking.  That's when it
really started raining.

After accepting our soaked selves, we felt good pretty good walking in the
rain.  We checked out a few different spots, identifying most of the good
areas to watch birds when it isn't raining, including the Blue Spring/ Dalen
products area, Baptist hosptial west and the wood chip trail.  The rain
subsided and we were able to see some good birds.  At noon, by the end of
thefield trip, there were three of us left.

Here is what I recall us seeing/ hearing:

Canada geese, wood ducks(7+), mallard ducks, great blue heron, green heron,
rock pigeon, mourning dove, E. starling, A. crow, common grackle, A. robin,
n. flicker, downy woodpecker, Carolina chickadee, Carolina wren, house wren,
n. cardinal, common yellowthroat, yellow-billed cuckoo, A. redstart, black
and white warblers(2), indigo bunting, song sparrow, hooded warbler,
ruby-throated hummingbirds an unknown accipiter spp. and a rusty red mystery
bird on the edge of the wetland, which was spooked and flew away quickly.

On a seperate note, today in the Wiliams Creek Urban Forest in east
Knoxville, I heard and saw a pair of broad-winged hawks following one
anotherthrough the forest.  We should take a field trip there soon.

Bird on!

Mark Campen, Knoxville TN.

Mark Campen  TN Izaak Walton League 956 Volunteer Landing Lane, Box 12
Knoxville, TN 37915 mark@xxxxxxxxx 865.523.3800