[TN-Bird] KTOS Sunday field trip announcement

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:11:38 -0400

Here is the announcement from "through the biKNOXulars", the newsletter of the
Knoxville Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society, for a Hawk Watch on
Sunday.

Sunday, September 18, 8:00 AM
Hawk Watch at Foothills Parkway
Leader: David Trently 531-1473 (w), 974-8664; dtrently@xxxxxxx)
Meet at 8 a.m. at start of Foothills Parkway off US 321 near Townsend. We may
spend up to two hours at the start of this road, looking for migrant songbirds
before heading up the parkway. We should see a number of warblers and vireos.
Once we start the hawk watch part of the trip (by 10 a.m.) we expect to see
mostly Broad-winged Hawks, but there's always a few other raptors and usually
some surprises.
Bring chairs, scopes and, once again, we plan to do a potluck lunch, so bring
something to share.
In past years we have had Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Caspian Tern, Common
Raven, Red-headed Woodpecker, Sandhill Crane and many vireos, warblers,
thrushes and tanagers.

We'll probably head up to the hawk watching site earlier than 10:00 since last
year when we got there then, there were already some groups of Broad-winged
Hawks soaring past. My past years there had the first groups arriving a bit
later but, since I wasn't there before 10:00, there may have already been a
lot of hawks that came through.
If you've never been to a hawk watch, you should come on out and experience
this. We won't see extremely high numbers like in some places along the coasts
(we hope to see over 100) but it's exciting scanning the skies where, just a
few seconds earlier, there are no birds to be seen...and then suddenly a
kettle of Broad-wingeds seems to appear out of nowhere. Then as you scan you
see something else, and maybe a Red-tailed or Red-shouldered hawk circles
past. Every so often we get a few falcons to shoot overhead. And there are
often birds that seem very out of place in the mountains, like the year we had
a pair of Caspian Terns or the cranes.
We often get a few waves of songbirds, plus a Common Raven or two.
Hope to see a good turnout. (of birders and hawks!)

David