[TN-Bird] KTOS Kingston Steam Plant field trip results

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:09:43 -0500

east Tenn, Roane County (west of Knoxville)

About 20 birders braved the forecast for rain, wind and colder temperatures in
order to see what might be present at the Kingston Steam Plant. We were
rewarded with what turned out to be a life bird for many of the participants.
We started with cool, dry weather as we walked out. From the high ground
overlooking the big pond, we got pretty good looks at two REDHEADs swimming
with the many AMERICAN COOTs. A few GADWALL were there as well.
Loafing in the pond were RING-BILLED (maybe 10), HERRING (3 or 4) and
BONAPARTE'S GULLs (probably more than 50).
As we started around the back side of the pond, overlooking the Emory River,
rain and wind and lower temperatures reached us...but we wandered on. The rain
would stop from time to time, and so would the wind, giving us time to scan
the flock of Bonaparte's Gulls on the second, smaller and deeper pond where a
FRANKLIN'S GULL was seen. This species is very rare in east Tennessee, and was
a lifer for many, a state bird for some.

If you try for this bird today or tomorrow, park at the ballfield area...walk
straight out the ash road, passing the big pond on your left...Then take the
road to the left; the one that goes between two ponds. The Franklin's was on
the pond that will be on your right.

Here's our list. Some of the birds (mostly the songbirds) were seen at the
pines where the BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCHES are located. At least one was found
early, but none when we went there on the way home.

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall - 10+
Mallard