[tn-bird] KTOS Field trip reminder/ Birds Galore

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:57:11 -0500

 I scouted Cove Lake State Park/Campbell County , TN today from 12:00
-1:00 for the Knoxville TOS field trip tomorrow morning. (Sat. 2-23-)
Cold- 36- Cloudy

I was very pleased with the number of birds and activity. The cold front
definitely brought the birds in. Ducks were numerous/ inc. a raft of
Redheads/ Bufflehead/
Gadwall.  Hopefully  they will stay tonight if they don't tire of being
chased by the Mute Swan.  Highlights were :Winter Wrens/  Brown Creepers/
Red-Breasted Nuthatches/ Purple Finch/  Both Kinglets/  Hermit Thrush
and 3 Fox Sparrows. I also saw a PINK-SIDED(race)  JUNCO..  45 species
were seen in less than an hour.   American Woodcock or Common Snipe are
also a possibility in the middle field /swampy areas.

We will check the usual thicket areas near the overlook tower and go
behind the campground area which is usually overlooked when birding . We
may walk the newer "Beaver Lodge" trail that was completed last Spring.
This is about a  3/4 mile hike that winds along Cove Creek and comes out
on a point in the lake on the Western shore across from the parking
areas. Barred Owl is a possibility as well as Red-Shoulder Hawks . This
may also may bring us closer to where the ducks hang out in the cove.
The trail is level and easy, but is somewhat muddy so dress
appropriately.  Temps should be near 30 early in the day with sunny skies
forecast.  It should be a nice day to check this area that can sometime
hold  nice surprises such as the Ross's Goose here a couple weeks ago.
Below  is the post that Field Trip Coordinator Harold Howell sent out. I
added a couple comments afterwards for your information.

Field Trip for 23 February 2002

A field trip to Cove Lake State Park and points up the Powell Valley is
scheduled for 23 February 2002.  Co-leaders will be Chris Welsh and Nell
Moore.  The group will meet at the UT Ag Campus parking lot (CFN1) for
departure at 7:30 AM, or at the entrance to Cove Lake State Park at 8:00
AM.
Target birds will include waterfowl at Cove Lake and sparrows in Powell
Valley.  A Mute Swan is probable.

Added Comments:
**Meeting area:- Enter the park and take the immediate left as if you are
going to Louie's restaurant. Drive beyond the restaurant pk. area and
look for my Red
Jeep on the Left. **Plan on paying the new $3.00 State parking fee.

-We will probably walk quite a bit, however for those that cannot do so,
the
areas we will explore are so close together you can drive to them if need
be, or leave when you like.  Walking should produce more birds.
**I do NOT plan on birding up Powell Valley as several of the "sparrow"
areas I planned on going to  have been mowed or rendered posted since
earlier in the winter.
We will finish up by lunchtime and those that would like can eat lunch at
Louie's park restaurant that overlooks the lake with excellent food and
good prices. Shoney's is also nearby.
Pass the word tonight to those that may not have email.   I will have Hot
Chocolate  and muffins ready!
Hope to see you there!

Nell Moore

Jimi and Nell Moore