[TN-Bird] KTOS Field Trip Announcement

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:58:55 -0400

The Knoxville Chapter of the TOS has two scheduled field trips this weekend:

Saturday, June 9 ?
Yuchi Wildlife Management Area

Contact: Tony King: 865-988-6172
Join us for a guided visit to this site ? a site KTOS helped to
preserve through a financial donation toward the purchase
of the land a few years ago. We will be joined by Bernie
Swiney of TWRA who will lead us around the refuge,
passing on information about things such as its history, land
use practices, and future plans. You can either meet by 9:00
a.m. at the west overlook parking area at Watts Bar Dam
(Exit 60 off I-75, then almost 16 miles to the west on TN-68
N) OR Meet in time for an 8:00 a.m. departure from the
Stokley Building parking lot, 320 N. Cedar Bluff in west
Knoxville. Contact Carole Gobert 865-254-8841
for carpooling information. Yuchi WMA contains about
2500 acres along the Tennessee River. Birding there will be
in fields, wetlands, forest, riverbank? See
http://www.foothillsland.org/projects_smithbend.shtml for
more information.
Bring lunch, and drinks. Wear sunscreen.

Sunday, June 10th 8:00am
Home of JoAnne Thompson, Oak Ridge

Leader: Janet McKnight 865-856-2229 or 865-271-8337
Meet at the Lenior City Wal-Mart parking lot at 8:00am
to car pool to Oak Ridge. Joanne does an amazing job
feeding and healing all kinds of baby and injured birds.
She will show us her tiny feathered patient, which will
give us a close up looks at different species and stages of
growth. It will also give us an opportunity to recognize
the otherwise thankless job JoAnne takes on just because
the need is so great. She works long hours with no
reward, besides the satisfaction of releasing a bird that
would have otherwise died. She does wonderful work for
the birds we all love. After we visit JoAnne, we can call
it a day, or continue birding in Oakridge if anybody
knows a good birding spot in Oak Ridge.

Posted by Carole Gobert, Knoxville

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES