[TN-Bird] KTOS Field Trip: Alum Cave Trail; The Winter Wren and Other High Altitude Species

  • From: "Jay Sturner" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "flowerpetalsonthecreek@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 21:37:05 +0000 (UTC)

Where: Alum Cave Trail, Great Smoky Mountains National ParkWhen: Sunday June
14, 2015, 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.Leaders: Jay Sturner, (865) 244-7819,
flowerpetalsonthecreek[at] yahoo [dot] com, and Keith Watson

Join us for a very exciting field trip to the SmokyMountains to experience one
of the most beautiful sounds of the spruce-firforest, the unforgettable song of
the Winter Wren!*

We will hike 2.2 miles to Alum Cave Bluffs and find manyhigh altitude species
including Winter Wren. After we reach the bluffs we will lookfor Peregrine
Falcons before turning back. At a birder’s pace it will take aboutthree hours
to get there, about two coming down, and will be moderately difficult.Other
species we may encounter include Black-capped Chickadee; Red-breastedNuthatch;
Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Blue, and Canada Warblers; BrownCreeper; Veery;
and possibly Common Raven, Hermit Thrush, and Red Crossbill.Just to name a few!

Meet at the Sugarlands Visitor Center in the first parkinglot (the one farthest
from the bus lot) no later than 7:30 a.m. From there wewill carpool to the Alum
Cave Trail. The hike itself will last roughly fivehours, so bring plenty of
water, food, raingear, maybe a walking stick, and sunblock.

*Special note: This hike was inspired by a wonderful articlewritten by Ijams
naturalist Stephen Lyn Bales called “The Smokies’ Winter Wren:Operatic Dixie of
the Highlands,” which is featured in the current issue of Smokies Life
Magazine. For a write-up onthis article, which includes a short, poetic passage
from the piece, visitStephen’s blog at
http://stephenlynbales.blogspot.com/2015/05/smokies-life-winter-wren.html

See you there!Jay SturnerKnoxville, TN

Sugarlands Visitor Center1420 Little River Gorge RdGatlinburg, TN 37738

35°41'08.0"N 83°32'12.1"W or 35.685562, -83.536691

Alum Cave Bluffs: http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/alumcave.htm