[TN-Bird] KTOS Field Trip

  • From: "Dan and Laurie Mooney" <birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TNBIRDS" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:56:13 -0500

The KTOS hosted a field trip to Ft Loudoun Dam and the East Shore Trail this
morning, 1/22/06.   Both are in Loudon County in east Tennessee.  Five of us
followed Tony King (leader) around some of his favorite birding locations.
In the area of the dam the highlights were two bald eagles and a northern
harrier fly over.  On the drive to the East Shore Trail David Trently spotted a
loggerhead shrike sitting on a barbed wire fence along Axley's Chapel Road (N35
42.902  W84 12.793).  The shrike had a cache of at least three large
grasshoppers on the top row of wire.

On the East Shore Trail we had 50+ cedar waxwings, brown creeper, and at least
3 hermit thrush.  The complete list follows.

The surprise bird of the day was an orange-crowned warbler coming to Tony
King's suet feeder.  Another highlight in Tony's yard was 4 purple finches.

I have listed species by the first place they were seen, except when they were
seen at all locations.  We started our day at Ft Loudoun Dam, birded Axley's
Chapel Rd as we drove to the East Shore Trail, and finished up with hot soup
and great views at Tony King's home in Lenior City.  We totaled 48 species on
the day.

Dan Mooney
Knoxville, TN

Canada Goose    Ft. Loudoun Dam
Wood Duck          Ft. Loudoun Dam
Mallard                Ft. Loudoun Dam
Pied-billed Grebe Ft. Loudoun Dam
Great Blue Heron  Ft. Loudoun Dam
Black Vulture         Ft. Loudoun Dam
Turkey Vulture       Ft. Loudoun Dam
Bald Eagle            Ft Loudoun Dam
Northern Harrier   Ft. Loudoun Dam
Red-tailed Hawk  Ft. Loudoun Dam
American Kestrel  Axley's Chapel Rd
Ring-billed Gull    Ft. Loudoun Dam
Rock Pigeon        Ft. Loudoun Dam
Morning Dove        All locations
Belted Kingfisher    Ft. Loudoun Dam
Red-bellied Woodpecker East Shore Trail
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Tony King's  yard (Lenior City)
Downy Woodpecker East Shore Trail
Northern Flicker    East Shore Trail
Loggerhead Shrike  Blue Jay        East Shore Trail
American Crow   All locations
Carolina Chickadee  East Shore Trail
Tufted Titmouse    East Shore Trail
White-breasted Nuthatch  East Shore Trail
Brown Creeper   East Shore Trail
Carolina Wren    East Shore Trail
Golden-crowned Kinglet   East Shore Trail
Ruby-crowned Kinglet        East Shore Trail
Eastern Bluebird    Axley's Chapel Rd
Hermit Thrush  East Shore Trail
American Robin  East Shore Trail
Northern Mockingbird    Axley's Chapel Rd
European Starling  Ft. Loudoun Dam
Cedar Waxwing   East Shore Trail
Orange-Crowned Warbler  Tony King's yard
Yellow-rumped Warbler  East Shore Trail
Pine Warbler   East Shore Trail
Eastern Towhee   East Shore Trail
Song Sparrow   East Shore Trail
White-throated Sparrow  East Shore Trail
Northern Cardinal  East Shore Trail
Red-winged Blackbird  Tony King's yard
Eastern Meadowlark  Axley's Chapel Rd
Purple Finch     Tony King's yard