[tn-bird] July Fourth - Shorebirds

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 21:13:00 EDT

July 4, 2002
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

I checked the river this morning before going to the pits and with very
little sand showing came away with only a few Least Terns. At the pits two
Song Sparrows were singing away among the clamor of all the Black-necked
Stilts.

Another American Golden-Plover was found and photographed. This bird was in
full basic plumage where the one last week had just started to molt from
alternate. Three Lesser Yellowlegs besides the hordes of stilts and Killdeer
were all I could find until late afternoon when 5 Least Sandpipers dropped in
to rest.

A quick trip down to North and Robco Lakes produced a single DC Cormorant.
Farther south on the MS-TN line and the levee south of Horn Lake produced a
Grasshopper Sparrow carrying food (in Mississippi). I thought this to be
pretty late for young Grasshopper Sparrows. I was struck by how few
Dickcissel were present. I believe there have been far fewer everywhere this
year overall than any time I remember. They can get pretty concentrated but I
still think their numbers are down. The trees have grown up in front of the
TN areas of Mud and Cocklebur Lake and are going to make seeing into the area
quite difficult.

At Star Landing in Mississippi, there is a sand bar forming right at the Horn
Lake outlet. This could make for some interesting habitat at this birdie
location.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA