[TN-Bird] Jimmy Wilkerson's day at Wal-Mart Distribution Center

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:11:49 -0400

Jimmy (and TN-Birders),

What? You didn't see me in Florida last week? I was there, at a Wal-Mart Distribution Center near Punta Gorda and Fort Ogden :-)

Interesting note: Virginia Rail, Killdeer, Eastern Meadowlark, Green Heron, Glossy Ibis, and Great Egret have been recorded at WMDC in Greene Co., TN. Sandhill Crane, Wood Stork, and White Ibis have been found elsewhere in Greene Co., and Black-necked Stilt was reported in neighboring Cocke Co. Given enough time, maybe all the birds on your list would put in an appearance at the WMDC here.

Who knows? Maybe these birds aren't really migrating at all. Maybe Wal-Mart is transporting them from center to center, a few at a time, to even out the distribution. Maybe we birders have gotten it all wrong. Perhaps birds don't fly if they can ride in the backs of semi-trucks.

Thanks for your post.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN

Last Thursday 6-30-05 I had an opportunity to stop by the Wal-Mart Distribution Center. I saw several unusual species of birds. I wouldn't know Don Miller if I saw him, but I have always enjoyed his posts and wanted to share with him what I saw!

1- Virginia Rail  - (heard)
1- Killdeer
1- Eastern Meadowlark
1- Green Heron
2- Sandhill Cranes
5- Black-necked Stilt
2- Wood Stork
6- White Ibis
4- Glossy Ibis
3- Great Egret

 ***WAL-MART DISTRIBUTION CENTER***
                  Hwy. 17 North
Between Punta Gorda and Fort Ogden, Florida

Sorry Wallace but I just couldn't resist an out of state post.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN.