[TN-Bird] Jackson Great Horned Owl/Red Shouldered Hawk

  • From: Allan Trently <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:26:42 -0400

On March 10, 2010 I saw a Red-Shouldered Hawk perched on a nest at Cypress
Grove Nature Park in Jackson, Madison County, TN.  A second red-shoulder flew
in and passed what appeared to be a fish to the first hawk which than took off.
 Both hawks were very vocal.  The second hawk sat down in the nest.  About
45-minutes later I watched an adult red-shoulder eat a small grayish mammal
(best guess is Eastern Mole) near the nest site. On March 14th there were no
hawks seen at the nest site.  On March 19th a second nest near this first one
(only a few 100 feet away) contained what appeared to be an adult
red-shouldered hawk sitting down in the nest.  A third nest within 50-ft of
this nest appeared to be old.  On March 19th I heard only one call of a
red-shouldered hawk in two hours as opposed to March 10 when the hawks were
very vocal the whole two hours I was at Cypress Grove.  All three nests are in
Bald Cypress trees.

Also on March 10th, I was walking the boardwalk at Cypress Grove when I heard a
red-shouldered hawk calling above me.  A hawk was perched in a large bald
cypress directly overhead which also contained a nest (this is a fourth nest).
On March 14 and 19 a Great-Horned Owl was seen occupying this nest.

On March 14 and 19 small flocks of Rusty Blackbirds were seen at Cypress Grove.
 On March 19th a single Northern Rough-Winged Swallow and a pair of Fish Crows
were observed at Cypress Grove.

Cypress Grove contains bottomland forest, one large pond and a small pond and
cypress-gum swamp.

Allan Trently ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx

Jackson, Madison County, TN