[TN-Bird] Ivory-billed Woodpecker: Lone Individual?

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:11:33 -0400

It seems very unlikely the discovery of the Arkansas Ivory-billed Woodpecker
will be limited to one individual.

This bird had to be born to two parent woodpeckers. There were probably
siblings.  We will have to be less quick to dismiss sightings as cases of
mistaken identity involving Pileated Woodpeckers, particularly if those
sightings occur in proper habitat within this bird's historic range.

I also doubt any of these birds will be taken into captivity. From my reading
about these birds, they seem unlikely candidates for captive breeding. That
could be a good thing since protection of the habitat will become even more
crucial.

It's still very early in this developing story, but it would be great to hear
from knowledgeable experts about whether it is more likely there are fragmented
populations of these birds or simply a few inconceivable relic survivors.

This is going to be a real challenge for a new century on a par with the
Whooping Crane and California Condor.

I suppose we must  be concerned at the same time. Experiments with the Heath
Hen and Dusky Seaside Sparrow certainly ended badly, and Hawaii has plenty of
rare birds, some perhaps even more rare than the Ivory-billed Woodpecker will
turn out to be.

It's still a triumph that, despite all the obstacles from "progress," the
Ivory-billed Woodpecker has managed to endure into another century, most
notably WITHOUT our assistance. These birds have got to be resilient. That
quality, we can hope, will serve them well in the coming years.

I have always held a special affection for this woodpecker. I've loved reading
about this bird. I once got to interview Nancy Tanner who, at the time,
justifiably considered herself one of the few living people to have ever seen
this woodpecker. I have heard a presentation by Rick Knight about the other
search this century for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, a search that he
personally took part in.

It felt very surreal last night when, just before midnight, I noticed the
postings on tn-birds about this amazing story. It still seems almost too good
to be true.

Finally, while it would be great to see this bird in the wild, I am sure the
majority of birders are going to wait and get the "whole story" about the
status of this bird. If saving this bird means we may not get to see it, well,
we will still know that it exists out there somewhere.

That's the really amazing news!

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN