[TN-Bird] Island 13 + shorebird weekend

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:09:10 EDT

Sept. 1, 2008
Island 13,
Lake Co. TN

Well, I just could not stay away, the call of Island 13 exerts much  pressure
on my body, the memories of numerous great Labor Day weekends are  deeply
rooted. I met Nancy Moore there early Monday, I had egged her into  visiting up
there last week and just as she had reported, the topography looks  much better
than it has in the last 5 years, still not as good as it  was, but is
anything?

Not a lot of birds (400 or so) but still exciting to look through each nook
and cove expecting something great to suddenly appear. We spent about 3-1/2
hours searching in quiet bliss and then the 4 wheelers took charge, no  wonder
the shorebirds go else where. Before we were blasted out of the sand, we  had
Least, Forster's and Black Terns plus 3 of the Least were really young with
one still being fed by an adult. There was a huge flock of swallows, by far the
 majority was, surprisingly Bank Swallows, but with Rough-winged, Tree  and
Cliff in the mix you know I spent some time looking for Cave.

Two Caspian Terns spent the morning on Tiptonville Bar along with 2  immature
Bald Eagles. Other than Killdeer, no other shorebirds were found out  from
Tiptonville? A single White Pelican was seen on the lake out from Keystone,
probably the now resident cripple.

At Island 13, we came away with 14 shorebird species with good numbers of
juvenile Sanderling and Semi-plovers, a juvenile Short-billed  Dowitcher plus,
finally after much searching, an immature Ruddy  Turnstone tossing stones in a
hidden hollow. Strange no Buffies or  Baird's?

My weekend shorebird species total came to 20, with Golden-Plovers and  a
season first Wilson's Snipe in MS, Dunlin, Baird's, Short-billed  Dowitcher and
Buff-breasted at Memphis, and Greater Yellowlegs, Stilt  Sandpipers, Sanderling
and Ruddy Turnstone at Island 13.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

deal here.

                       MAP RESOURCES