[TN-Bird] Island 13 and backyard birding

  • From: "Nancy Moore" <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:12:15 -0500

Lake Co, Tn
Island #13 on the Mississippi
West of Wynnburg off of Hwy 78
Ventured out to see what the contour of Island #13 is this year...and if there
are any Shore birds to be found.....The gate is open again this year and the
road is in good shape but it does have its usual ups and down terrain as you
drive in....the pools of water are perfect right now for shorebirds....and they
are located in front of you  as you walk onto the sand bar...No long, hot walk
south to find pools...there were 5 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Spotted SP taking a
bath, just tipsying around.....a fair number of Least SP   25-30....5 pectoral
SP.....Least Terns.....A pool off to the South held a number of Great Egrets
and I think there were Snowy Egrets and  there were crows...heat waves and
distance made that hard to tell what all the white was......but the greatest
surprise was when I drove out on the North road in to the sand bar and I saw
something flutter in front of my truck .....and it was a Scissortail
Flycatcher....either a Female or an Immature......no male seen or nest....but
it was in the first tree on the right when you pull off the main dirt road to
the road that leads down to the south part of Island 13....it returned to that
tree several times while I was there....

Island 13 had given us some great birds.....I found my first Piping Plover
there and sever al more since and 6 on one occasion several years ago.
...records
found there include:  Whimbrels,Piping Plover, Jaeger, all the usual suspects,
Sabine Gulls, to name a few....

There has been a cabin built up on stilts on the point by the Jetty....

Anyone wanting directions I would be glad to email them.....

I also had a Yellowthroated Warbler land on my deck during breakfast
yesterday.....guests were thrilled to see such a beautiful bird....

Nancy Moore
Bluebasin Cove B&B
Reelfoot lake
Lake Co, Tn