[TN-Bird] Introducing ClipBird 1.0 - A Checklist Utility for Birders

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:31:13 -0400 (EDT)

I'm forwarding an announcement for a new piece of birding software
available for FREE download from Redshank Software, a company based
in the Carolinas.  Their website is included in the announcement.

The announcement gives more details but, briefly...
ClipBird displays a checklist of bird species with a space to "check"
a species seen and a space to insert a short comment (up to 45
characters).  "Click" on a button in the program and the checklist
is copied to the clipboard and can then be pasted directly into
an email, word processor document, etc.  A quick way to stick a
list of birds seen in your post to TN-birds or send count results
to the compiler (hint, hint) without all that tedious typing of
long names like Black-throated Green Warbler or confusing banding
codes like BASW (Barn or Bank?).

There are a few built-in checklists to chose from including ABA,
NC, and SC official lists.  I directed Russ to the official list
for TN on the TOS website so there is now a TN list option (so
you don't have to page down through all those albatrosses and
petrels).  It defaults to alphabetical listing but you can easily
change that to taxonomical listings.

Redshank Software also has a very interesting product called Avendex
which is a searchable database of bird sighting records (currently
only NC and SC).  This one is for sale, not free.  The idea is that
you can search for all the reported sightings of Parasitic Jaeger
from Huntington Beach State Park, for example.  Very interesting.

The usual disclaimer:  I have no financial interest in Redshank
Software nor am I getting any benefit for passing this along to
TN-birds.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN