[TN-Bird] Re: Interesting viewing of Ruby-throated Hummer

  • From: Heather Larkin Vogler <heatherlarkin42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: likebird@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:24:34 -0500

I thought ants killed hummers? I just read an article by a hummingbird
rescue person that described the agonizingly slow death of a baby
hummingbird who had been fed ants (because the people who found her thought
she needed "protein".) The rescue person said that the baby's sac (?) was
clogged with ants and she was unable to take in the nectar from the
dropper. I am now entirely confused! Can you please clarify?

Thanks so much!
Heather Larkin Vogler
Cheatham County

*'Whether you think you can, or think you can't, either way, you are
correct.'*
*(paraphrased from Henry Ford)*

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:42 AM, <likebird@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Birders,
This morning I saw a Hummer doing something I have seldom seen, gleaning.
I have a 10' sunflower plant with many blooms and it is mostly full of
Goldfinches. I looked out this morning and there was a female Hummer
gleaning a stalk and I could see the tiny, tiny ants she was licking up
with her long tongue. (The Sunflower is just a couple of feet from a
window) That was very amazing for me!
Linda Kelly
Chattanooga
Hamilton Co.