[TN-Bird] Interesting gull at Duck River

  • From: "Stanley York Jr." <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "swy911@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 14:12:04 -0700

August 6, 2014
Humphreys County, TN NWR Duck River Unit
Pool 1 area 7:05pm

Yesterday evening while hoping to see Caspian Terns I observed a large gull
flying over the river adjacent to Pool 1.  This may not be the most diagnostic
description but the following are my remarks from my ebird report.

"Seen out over river, large immature gull.  My first thought was immature
Herring or Lesser Black-backed.  Mottled with brown/white all over, less so
around head and undersides. Did show whitish rump and bill was darker towards
tip of bill."

I did not note the leg color and there was more white around the head and
undersides.  Any thoughts, suggestions, or tips appreciated.

Stanley York Jr.
Palmyra/Montgomery Co.