[tn-bird] Interesting Hawk Story

  • From: Howard Groce <billyh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:48:26 -0700

Hi All,

Here's an interesting story my son sent me recently:

Hawk gets stuck on Wing

September 9, 2002 Posted: 2:51 PM EDT (1851 GMT)

ARLINGTON, Washington (AP) -- "Call 911! I have a hawk stuck to my arm."

It didn't take long for gas station customers to see Jamie Wing wasn't kidding.

A red-tailed hawk collided with Wing's pickup truck Thursday, and after she
freed the bird's wing from the side-view mirror, the hawk invaded the truck,
bit Wing's lip and then sank its talons into her right arm.

Wing, 38, said she threw a coat over the bird, tried without success to get it
off her arm -- and then drove to the nearest highway exit.

"Every time you touched the bird, it gripped harder," she said. "There was a
point where it got so painful that I was going to reach down and break its neck
myself, but I love animals and I realized the bird was in shock and pain."

Firefighters administered morphine to help ease Wing's pain, and two women from
the nearby Sarvey Wildlife Center pulled the hawk off her arm.

Wing was treated at a local hospital for puncture wounds on her right arm, hand
and thumb. "I feel lucky it didn't chew me up more," she said.

The hawk had to be euthanized because both wings were broken too badly to heal
or be repaired, said Kestrel SkyHawk, who cares for birds of prey at the center
and is on its board of directors.

Howard Groce

Byrdstown, TN