[TN-Bird] Interesting Flycatcher

  • From: "Dan Mooney" <dmoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:36:00 -0400

Laurie and I took a late morning walk at Seven Islands WMA (east Knox county on
Kelly off Kodak Rd). It is a beautiful place with wildflowers, birds and
butterflies all in really nice numbers.  As we were leaving about 2:00pm we
drove down to the small boat launch operated by Knox County.  A flycatcher flew
up from a fence along the road to the top of a tree about 40 yards away and sat
on a high branch in the open.  What got my attention was when viewed through
bins, white tuffs were visible on each side of the rump.  We got out the scope
and got decent views of the bird, but lighting wasn't great.  The bird was
silent for the 10 minutes we watched it.   The bird seemed to be phoebe
sized/shaped, with faintly streaked sides, the chin was darkish but the throat
was white and the center of the breast/belly were white.  No eyering, no
wingbars, no obvious colors on the bill other than it was darkish and did not
appear yellowish on the underside.
My impression is juvenile olive-sided flycatcher, but I  could be wrong as my
experience with that specie is very limited.  If some one is in the area it
might be worth looking for.  The boatramp is on the left just before you get to
the WMA parking area.
Other nifty stuff we saw/heard included, summer tanager(2 males about a mile
apart), scarlet tanager(1), orchard oriole (several), blue grosbeak(several),
indigo bunting(lots), common yellowthroat(lots), chat(several), quail( heard
several), willow flycatcher(1), great crested flycatcher(1), grasshopper
sparrow  and all the other regular stuff one might expect to see/hear there.
Dan Mooney
Knoxville, Tn