[TN-Bird] Interesting American Goldfinch Behavior

  • From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 19:24:32 +0000 (UTC)

This afternoon, I was watching a flock of American Goldfinches squabble in pear
tree in the back yard.  This tree still has a lot of dead leaves.  I noticed
the birds were detaching the leaves at the stem where they attach to the twig
and then the birds would drop the leaves to the ground.  At times, the
goldfinches would "search" the leaf before detaching.  Other times, they would
just detach.  It appeared the entire flock of 30 or so birds were doing this.
Has anyone seen this behavior before and happen to know why there were doing
this?

Kristy Baker
Rockvale, TN
www.pbase.com/kristybaker