[TN-Bird] Injured hawk found on road- Oak Ridge, Anderson County

  • From: robert loveday <rhloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

While driving on Bear Creek Road to work this morning, I passed
an object on the other side of the road that looked to be a
bird.  I doubled back half expecting to find a dead Great Horned
Owl (since I had found one, and moved it off Hwy 95 a couple
years ago) and instead found a hawk sitting with wings tucked.
When I approached, it spread one wing fully and the other stayed
retracted.  Beak and talons were on prominent display telling me
to back off Jack.  Since the speed limit is 55 mph on Bear Creek
Rd., I knew I had to act quickly.  I carefully took hold of the
spread wing and back side of body to carry it to the woods edge
out of harms way.  Since the hawk was distressed and ready to
fight, I didn?t press my luck and check it?s tail for ID
purposes. I think it was either an immature Red-Tail or Cooper
(underside of exposed wing did not show Red-shoulder markings).
No blood was seen, but I did hear target practice at the nearby
Security guard training center. I marked the gravel shoulder
with a 5 ft. long piece of dead wood.  It?s located on the left
(south) side 1.3 miles from the Bear Creek Rd.- Hwy 95 junction
(heading west) if anyone can help this beautiful bird.  I've
left messages at both the Clinch Raptor Rehab Center & TWRA.

Robert Loveday
Cleveland/ Knoxville, TN