[TN-Bird] Re: Immature Red-headed Woodpecker

  • From: "Beau Peyton" <bpeyton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TOS" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:32:44 -0600

Red-headed Woodpecker is still locally fairly common in west TN; maybe
uncommon to somewhat rare(?) in middle and eastern parts of the state.
Their numbers vary with the acorn crop; some years and seasons they are
still quite common at certain locations, such as Meeman-Shelby Forest SP in
northern Shelby Co.  They have become uncommon in many locations in west TN,
though.  No longer easy to find at Shelby Farms and many other parks, etc.
It is of interest to me that one is in your yard.  Red-headeds were pretty
regular in my yard a few years ago, but I haven't seen more than one (an
adult) here for a couple years now, and I think last June was the last time
I saw this bird in the yard.
Rob Peeples
Germantown, TN

Thanks, Ron.

It appeared again today, and its arrival is like clockwork, between 10:30 and
11:00 each day. I took some photos and will post a link as soon as I transfer
them.

Beau Peyton
Germantown, TN