[TN-Bird] Immature Cooper's hawk on deck again

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:13:42 EST

Hello,

At 3:38 PM on this overcast day, the immature Cooper's hawk made a pass  over
my deck in the Charlotte Park section of West Nashville, Davidson County, a
few blocks east of the Cumberland River across from Bell's Bend.  It lit on
the deck rail, then moved to a chair over the bird seed area, then up to a low
branch in a hackberry tree behind the deck.  Soon, a little mouse appeared
to partake of the bird seed.  "Immy" swooped down, but the mouse slipped  away
between the spaces in the deck floor.  "Immy" stood on the deck  peering down
into the crack.  For a moment, it even stood on one leg  "flamingo style"
after which it walked around on the deck before flying up to  the utility wire
just to the left of the deck.  "Immy" doesn't have the  patience of the parent
birds yet in that it soon gave up when no more mice  appeared.  Now that it is
gone, the mice are once again joining the  squirrels at the feeder.  All the
birds are still hiding, so "Immy" may  still be around the vicinity.  It's
always a thrill to watch "Immy"  especially since I haven't seen it for awhile.
 No
photos today.  My  camera was in another room in my bag where I left it after
a little jaunt  earlier today.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN