[TN-Bird] Re: Identification of owl from pellets

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Jerry Ingles <jeingles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:04:37 -0400 (EDT)

Jerry,

Try "Bird Tracks and Sign: A Guide to N AM species" by Mark Elbroch
and Eleanor Marks, ISBN 0811726967.  It has some photos of pellets
from the various species of owl, raptors, and even a few shorebirds,
gulls, Corvids, and Loggerhead Shrike.  A good book overall that I'd
recommend for just this sort of thing.  It also includes tracks,
feeding signs, scat, roost signs, nests, feathers, etc.

Based on the book...

Screech Owl, oval, slightly longer than wide, 1.6-3.8 cm X 0.9-1.4 cm

Great Horned Owl, excuse the frankness... turd-shaped, much longer than
wide, 1.6-11.4 cm X 1.4-3.8 cm

Barred Owl, roughly oval but noticably longer than wide, 2.7-5.1 cm X
1.6-1.9 cm

Barn Owl, some round some oval, those shown look much more compressed
than other species, 2.2-5.1 cm X 1.7-2.8 cm.

Red-tailed Hawk, oval hairballs, the ones shown have greater amounts
of fur than the owl pellets, 1.7-4.4 cm X 1.4-1.9 cm

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN